What We Do
The Carolina Helping Hams (CHH) is an Organization founded to connect Amateur Radio Hobbyists (Hams) and Non-profit Organizations (NPOs) within North Carolina. Over the last 8 years, CHH has provided NC non-profits with over $1,000,000 in communications services.
For the Ham community we provide:
A single integrated calendar of Public Service events sponsored by Clubs and Individuals in the Central Carolina area.
- Resource listings for Hams to explore new venues and outlets for Public Service.
- Public Service oriented educational seminars and workshops sponsored by CHH to encourage and facilitate skills development within the Ham community.
- Perhaps most importantly, the Radio skills participants develop in CHH activities directly translate to the skills needed for ARES/RACES operations. We take pride in being the “Hands-on University” for Emergency Radio Operations.
For NPO community we provide:
- Pro-Bono consulting and planning services to manage the communications for your charitable fund-raising event.
- Turn-key volunteer recruiting and deployment for the communications portion of your organization’s charitable event.
A referral network of area Amateur radio Clubs and Organizations who can provide event communication services.
What do we mean by Public Service?
There are other Public Service Amateur Radio Organizations such as ARES and Skywarn which provide Emergency Communications Services for Public Safety and Government Agencies. But when we use the term Public Service here, we’re really referring to the types of grass-roots community involvement that is outside the sphere of Public Safety. Our definition of Public Service is the coordination of grass-roots Ham Radio volunteers for local community service organizations to support their communication needs. The majority of events that CHH directly supports tend to be outdoor events involving 100+ participants such as charity walks, fund runs and other types of outdoor events. Our specialty is providing communications for event management and enhancing the safety of the participants during events. We also support extreme sporting events such as Marathons or Triathlons, which involve up to 30 communication operators on foot, on bicycle, on water (really!), and in support Vehicles. Please note that this type of event requires several months planning beforehand! Another capability is supporting overnight cross-country bicycling events. Again, these are major Tours involving 100-500 cyclists and up to 30 radio operators over a 175 mile course!
Requirements of CHH
CHH only asks two requirements of event organizers who want our participation:
Your Event must be organized to benefit a community-based non-profit charity or group.
You must provide us proof of liability insurance for your event (i.e. show us a copy of your event policy).
For major (extreme) sporting events involving large groups of CHH volunteers, organizers may be asked to explicitly list CHH as a coinsured on the event policy.
How to Contact Us For Support
If you’d like have CHH’s direct support for your Organization’s event, please contact:
See our Public Service Calendar page for events we’re currently supporting, in addition to other events being sponsored by local clubs or individuals.